I occasionally enjoy painting miniatures for my various Dungeons & Dragons characters. It is, at best, a side-line hobby so far, though I’m becoming more and more invested as I buy more paint, brushes, and equipment.
I learned this week, however, that miniatures that require lots of piecing together are things that will, inevitably, frustrate me. With my Rheumatoid Arthritis, I don’t have the same digital mobility that I used to. Things that require very fine or deft motor skill are oftentimes beyond me because it either hurts my hands or they shake too much to be useful. This particular miniature is a beautiful one from Darksword Minatures and their Easley Masterworks collection. I thought it would make a lovely miniature for my current Aasimar Bard (at least until I get in the new Heroforge Miniature I just ordered…)
Believe it or not, this miniature comes in three separate parts. It doesn’t say that anywhere on the packaging or on the website to order. Her right arm with the lute is one piece, her main body on the rock is another, then her left boot is the third. My husband and I both tried to get the lute arm to line up correctly, but it was really a choice of whether we wanted her right arm to line up or whether we wanted her left hand to line up, we could never achieve both. Her left boot was a tiny, hard to deal with space when you’re trying to hold something together with glue. I ended up just kind of wedging it in there and hoping it stuck.
I probably should have assumed off the bat that this was the kind of miniature meant for “advanced painters” but it was so lovely that I couldn’t resist. I learned my lesson about researching miniatures fully before buying. Still, while the miniature isn’t as picture perfect as I would have hoped, I think I still managed something nice.